Missing Service file

Jun 1, 2012 at 8:29 PM

FeatureUpdateService.svc seems to be missing from the MDNUXServices folder. I'm getting errors in MapDotNet 8.2 and 8.3 when attempting to export data from my shape files into the dev database. 

Coordinator
Jun 1, 2012 at 9:09 PM

That is correct. For security reasons we left that endpoint out so that malicious users could not write a utility to modify production data. The FeatureUpdateService provides access using a database connection string and via a mapID/layerID to access the underlying table. To lock down a deployment, the simple approach is to remove the SVC file. If you want to keep it, I recommend one database user with readonly access that is used in your map files and another with full access that you can set up as a datasource for ETL in Studio.

Jun 1, 2012 at 10:19 PM

I understand that it is for security reasons that this was removed. However, by removing the file it would directly make step 5 of the documentation invalid. Additionally, new users would not know where to find the file in the first place to perform the initial export of data into the development database. Updating the documentation to note that the end point should be removed going production would be a better solution?